Sunday, August 22, 2010

Advice appreciated on my best friends fathers passing?

my best friends father passed away this past week and i attended both wake sessions and the funeral to be supportive of my best friend of 15 years(i am 24 and he is 23, we are both males). While i am upset for the whole family, my best friend is being very mature about it and hasnt cried, although he is upset on the inside. His Mom(the wife) has been upset and crying both at the wake and funeral and my friend has told me he wants to show he is strong for his mother so she can see him as supportive and someone she can learn on. While i am proud of my friend for this attitude, i have also told him that i am there for him and his family if he wants to talk whether in a few days or a week, a month, or whenever and he appreciated the offer. Since the weekend is upcoming, the whole family will be together for a few days but i was thinking monday or tuesday to get my friends' Mom a flower display and showing my sympathy to her and letting her know if there is anything i can do to help, i am available. my question is, would this be sending a wrong message? i dont want to seem pushy as to show them i am 'trying too hard' but i am an empathetic person and i feel others pain, but if its ok, are flowers the way to go? i gave a card at the wake and they were happy to see me there being supportive of the family, should i leave it at that or get the flowers because i feel sorry and want to be supportive after the extended family has gone back to there houses. thanks for answers, i appreciate them.Advice appreciated on my best friends fathers passing?
Just be there for him and listen if he wants to talk. Sometimes the best thing to do in those situations is not say anything at all.Advice appreciated on my best friends fathers passing?
Leave the mourning to the immediate family and give them time and space and your prayers. this is the best you can do..

No comments:

Post a Comment