Sunday, August 22, 2010

Advice! What's the best way to let my nanny go?

Due to financial troubles, I have to let my excellent, long time, nanny go.





My husband and I are moving, changing our work schedules, and extending the day care days to make this work because our debt has gotten out of control.





I feel terrible because she is great at her job and very nice and helps support her 3 grandchildren.


She has been such a big help to our family.


She knows money is bad because I had to pay her late recently (waiting on my paycheck) but has no idea that I need to lay her off.





I keep chickening out whenever I see her.


What is the best way to tell her? Both etiquette-wise and to make it easier?Advice! What's the best way to let my nanny go?
Please don't put this off any longer, because you should be able to give her reasonable notice so she can look for another position.


The economy is very tough right now,and I feel for your situation. I'm sure your nanny will understand. Explain the situation as you have here, give her an excellent letter of reference, and try your best to ask around your neighborhood to see if anyone needs her services.Advice! What's the best way to let my nanny go?
It was pretty painless.


She totally understood and is confident she'll be able to find another position easily.





Putting it off was worse!

Report Abuse



Tell her what you told us. Waiting only makes it worse. Be nice and give her a few weeks notice so that she has time to find another job. Also tell her you would be happy to serve as a reference. Make sure she has a way of contacting you after you move.
Tell her the truth.Everything that you just posted.Or you could tell her that your gonna get Fran Fine to replace her(j/k)
Just be straight foward with her and honest... Tell her than you're no longer able to afford her services and that you're sad to see her go, etc. Good luck
Its not like you have to tell her that she is doing a bad job, the economy is in the tank everywhere, so tell her how much you have loved having her help raise your children, but you can no longer afford her services. Give her at least 2 weeks notice or pay and a good letter of recommendation.
She probably already senses that you are not financially able to afford her anymore - you paid her late and so she has to know something is going on.





We all know of the hard times people are having. Just make it clear to her that you need to cut back due to what's going on with the economy today and make it clear it has nothing to do with her ability to watch your children.





It's always hard to let someone go or be the person let go, but if she is very good she should be able to find another nanny job elsewhere. Let her know you would be glad to give her a glowing reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment