Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Used car advice - what's the best next move?

I bought a used car off a lot in April. It's an Infiniti, so I figured a Nissan product would be relatively reliable. I only paid $1900, but it was all I had to work with.





Since I've had the car, I've had several regular maintenance issues fixed (tires, oil and filer change), but also discovered some other major problems that weren't divulged to me at the time of purchase. So far I've spent an additional $900 on it, and now I need to replace the brakes, alternator and a/c components. I know...buyer beware.





Would you take the car back to the orginal dealer and try to get an upgrade with the current car for a trade-in, or go to a completely different dealer for a better used car? My credit is shot (thanks to my irresponsible hubby), so I can't afford to get a loan and don't even want a new car ever again anyway. I might consider a short term, high interest note with a dealer for 6 months if it meant I wouldn't have to keep dropping cash on repairs.





Your opinions?Used car advice - what's the best next move?
When it comes to used cars DON'T TRUST ANYBODY !!!





And what you are doing is digging a bigger and bigger hole (trading in one car after another - going to dealer - paying high interest loan, etc.)


====


MSNBC had a news story on where is the best places to buy used cars. The used car dealers were on the BOTTOM of the list. They are pros at negotiations (and you and I are rank amateurs), they are pros at hiding problems on their cars, etc.





The private sales (newspaper, etc.) were the best places. The seller will not tell you all the problems, but they don't know how to hide them.





And a private seller are at MOST they are equal in negotiation skills to you and me.


===


My 94 Civic can get 41 MPG (and I was doing 72 for the mileage test - so I can do even better at 55). The engine + tranny + suspension runs like new. It ain't no beauty but it is rock solid. If I had to sell it, I would not get more than few thousand dollars. This is the kind of car you want to look for.





Just take your time, as good old used cars are cheap but hard to come by.





===========








Here's some rules you should consider when buying a used car





(1) don't get sold on the paint job = meaning cars having good exterior, fancy CD radio, etc.





(2) look for car with sound ENGINE + TRANNY + SUSPENSION.





(3) test every button, knob, switch, slider, etc.. Ex: even in the summer test out the heater %26amp; even in the winter test out the AC (if you can). Slide the AC/heater to fan1, fan2, fan3, etc. then slid the vent to defrost, front, bottom, etc. Test the high beam, low beam, etc. Test (flip) the visor. Test the alarm. Test all 4 doors. Test the rear defogger.





***** TEST EVERYTHING.





(4) BEFORE the first start, open the engine bay and see if the engine is already warmed up. Many engines starts well when already warmed up, but may have problems when cold (or cold start).





(5) test drive with the sound system off and window down. Listen for weird sound coming from the wheels %26amp; suspension.





(6) Look inside the engine bay to see if you can see see leaks, etc. It is normal to see some oil and grease. But too much means that the car is leaking oil somewhere. Too clean (really clean) means they just wash the engine bay - possibly hiding some oil leaks.





(7) check the engine oil dip stick. If the oil is BRAND NEW CLEAN, the seller MIGHT be hiding something. If the oil is jet black and /or smells like gasoline (or burnt), you might have engine problem).





(8) once you are satisfied with the above - you can NOW take it to the mechanic for the engine + tranny + suspension inspection. He won't find everything, but he will find the obvious. Take it to a mechanic EVEN if you are buying from a used car dealer. They cars are NO better than cars you buy from ebay and craigslist.com. Just more expensive.





=====





1) Safety Ratings:





http://www.safercar.gov/


http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx





2) Reliability:


http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ra鈥?/a>


http://www.edmunds.com/apps/ratings/rati鈥?/a>





3) Fuel Economy:


http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm





Good Luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment