Sunday, August 22, 2010

Advice on confronting a best friend about her popularity craving?

I've known this girl since grade 8. She grew to be one of my best friends. We're now in grade 12 and since last year she's been changing. She's always been really into her looks and being popular, and we've always just ignored it and went on with our lives. She's been known to go to great lengths to talk to certain people who she considers to be popular and is becoming known as desperate to lots of the people at school. My other bff and I have always just put up with it and stuck up for her.





However, she's starting to leave us for her so-called 'popular' friends. For example, the three of us always eat lunch together. Sometimes she'll go out with her other 'cool' friends and leave my friend and I to eat by ourselves or with some other girls. We don't mind. However, one day my friend wasn't at school when the other friend went out with her 'cool' friends for lunch. So, I asked if I could tag along with her. She said, 'umm...yeah, okay' so I said 'great, where should I meet you?' and she said 'At my locker. But, Jake's (her boyfriend) coming now,' and I said 'yeah, that's fine' and she said 'well, that means I'll be driving 3 people :S' Clearly this implied that she didn't want me to come with her. She's drivin' 3 people before with no problem. In fact, she's drivin more than 3 people before with no problem! She then said, 'sorry, I feel bad :(' however she must not have felt that bad if she was willing to let me eat lunch by myself!





Anyway, that's just one of the examples. There's many more reasons why I'm not very happy with her...our other friend isn't either. She's always treating us like we're losers and makes us feel worthless. We want to confront her about this but we're not sure how. I could tell her the truth and hurt her feelings (which she's done so many times to us) or I could put it nicely and risk the chance of her not caring. I'm not a mean person, so I'd like to put it nicely. I'm not sure what to say though. I just want to tell her that school isn't a popularity contest. The more she tries to make it one, the less friends she has. She just keeps getting worse and worse.Advice on confronting a best friend about her popularity craving?
You might mention thaat to base your self-opinion on other's opinion of you makes you a projection of society's view of a perfect person, so basically not really a person at all.Advice on confronting a best friend about her popularity craving?
Aww, You sound like a very patient and nice person. Honestly, if it were me I would probably say something already, shes one of your close friends, and she shouldn't do that. I would say something like ';Hey how come you never hang out with us anymore? Feels like (so %26amp;so) are your new friends, and you forgot about us'; If she continues on doing it I would leave her, you don't need a friend like that. She sounds very fake. Same thing happened to me and one of my old friends, I just left her and I'm so much happier now. Instead of getting hurt each time she would do that. I say stick with your other friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment