Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any advice on being the best that you can be?

I'm 19 and I'm turning 20 in two months. I'm not happy with what I am yet. I'm beyond shy with people I've just met, and even the friends I had in high school are not friends anymore. I'm just so shy that I can only be me with someone I'm comfortable with. I guess I just get intimidated really easily, and I don't know what to do when that happens. How do I make more friends? With close friends, I'm always comfortable; but I only have 3 close friends I can always talk to. I am a girl who has never had a guy friend, and I do want one, so what can I do to have some guy friends?


I just want my 20's to go extremely well; I feel like the teens just flew by and I didn't get to where I wanted. I wanted to be an open, approachable, and overall happy person. I'm working on it, but I just feel like I haven't done anything great so far.


Has anyone ever felt this way? Any idea how I can be a better person? Be more happy and confident with myself? Be more approachable? Make more friends, both guys and girls? Did anyone feel weird turning 20?


Thanks so much for your answers?Any advice on being the best that you can be?
Oh my! I thought I was reading something I wrote at your age! I went through the same thing. The biggest thing is to stop thinking so much and just 'get out there' - try to meet new people and try new things! Hang out at a new place and make a deal with yourself that you will make eye contact with at least one person, the next time tell yourself you have to talk to one person and so on. It does get easier but you need to push yourself.





It is totally normal that high school friends disappear - it hurts but it is time for bigger and better things!





Try a new sport to take a class someplace - you will meet new people.





Being happy with yourself is always a work in progress but I think being aware is key and you are already aware by asking these questions!





Just don't over think it and try new things and that will indroduce you to new people - it all comes in time!





Good luck!!!Any advice on being the best that you can be?
i'm the same age %26amp; i know EXACTLY how you feel. just figure out what you want the most in life, figure out what you want to go after, and go get it...*don't just run because you feel you should, run towards something you know you want to chase after.*
Breathe....you're killing me! Listen, just relax and the older you get the more you will become ';you'; and the more comfortable you will feel in your own skin. Sometimes the type of people you've been around can contribute to these shy feelings...things will change...be patient...
Be the best you can be. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
your still younmg you have a long time to accomplish greatness (:
Hey, sometimes I feel the exact same way...





I really only have a few close friends as well, and I used to think that was awful. But then I realized that I was lucky to have people who I could talk to no matter what and they would listen. This means so much more to me than having a bunch of friends who I barely know.





That being said, if you do want to make some more friends, then you should take the personality that you have around your close friends, and put that out into public more. There are probably a lot less people judging you out there than you think. Along the way, you might have to take risks and somebody might give you crap for being who you are every once in a while, but you'll just have to ignore it because the end result of being an outgoing and sociable person justifies the means needed to get there.





Good luck! You'll be fine, I mean, at least you're not in high school anymore, right? All that drama is in the past, and the adult world is so much more tolerable. I hope you find your way.
I wish I was turning 20 again. You are so so lucky! If you are having anxiety issues around people then I would say you have to address that first. You can read books and how to speak to people, or how to feel comfortable. Go onto Amazon and there a ton of self-help books there. If not why not go to counseling for a while to get you through this transition. Usually insurance will pay for this. Next I would get on out there! Join things you enjoy. Do not be embarrassed either to join things. Maybe you will meet people. I joined a few things this year and met a bunch of people and have some new friends. If you want to join something and be a better person at the same time why not volunteer somewhere? How about a hospital or food pantry? You will meet many people if you volunteer in a hospital.Or look up some ideas online. You will be doing great things more quickly than you can think! You have drive so I can tell you will be doing wonderful things real soon. Look in the mirror and talk to yourself and practice being more approachable and interesting. Don't forget, interesting people do interesting things! OK so I hope I don't sound like a mom but I have a good feeling about you! And now all that's left is YOU have to have a good feeling about YOU too! Good luck and just remember that it is perfectly normal to not know who you are at this point in your life. Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment