Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Any advice on how to best blend a family with a new baby on the way?

My boyfriend and I just learned that we will be having a baby. We both have a child from a previous marriage. He has a daughter who is 9 and I have a son who is 7. We both share joint custody with our ex's a 50/50 visitation schedule. We have both been divorced for about 5 years. We decided to keep the kids out of our relationship to protect them in case it did not work out. I am so in love with him and there is no doubt that I want to spend the rest of my life with him but I am worried about our kids. They will have so much to take in. Moving to a new house, a new brother or sister and blending our families into a single unit. Will nine months be enough time to prepare the children and I do not want to overwhelm them or make them resent the situation, the new baby, or their parents. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this transition easier for the children or have experience with bringing their own families together?Any advice on how to best blend a family with a new baby on the way?
I got married to my now husband and had 4 kids from my first marriage.





I sat the kids down before he moved in with us and explained it and my oldest did ask what would happen if we broke up and I said that both of us were committed to each other and if we have problems then we would do whatever we had to to fix it. I explained that our life would be different but that the rules etc were still the same.





We went on to have a child together (now 2 years old) and so far it has worked.





Just be open in talking to the kids.





We also have a family meeting on Sunday's where we bake something and then after dinner sit down to our cake or biscuits and a hot chocolate and talk about anything bothering anyone.





Just keep the lines of communication open. It sounds like you are great parents and have done things the best way so far.Any advice on how to best blend a family with a new baby on the way?
When my husband and I got together (we both have children from a previous marriage) we spent time together as a family...to get the children used to one another..first we would do something small together, only a couple of hours..that way it wasn't overwhelming and each parent still had alone time with their children, it worked great for us... Now that I am having triplets, what we did is we made sure to spend time with each child, to let them know they aren't being replaced. I hope that helps a little! Good luck with the new family and the new baby! :)
Get married before the baby comes, so that you each have an actual title to the other one's child, as opposed to just ';My mom's boyfriend'; or ';My dad's girlfriend.'; Maybe you can have a quaint, quiet ceremony where the children are involved so that they feel like they are a part of the creation of this new family.
As long as you have a loving and equal environment for all your kids you are doing the best you can, make sure you have allot of one on one with each child to let them know that they are not being pushed aside, good luck to you.
  • old lipstick
  • makeup look
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment